Follow these 5 simple steps and you can learn more about your existing customers in order to find more like them.
Describe Your CustomersUnderstand who your ideal customer is and what similarities they have. Define your customers with the following criteria:
- Demographics – their age, gender, income, etc.
- Psychographics – their personality type, preferences, etc.
- Behavior – their similar likes and dislikes, sports, hobbies, etc.
Locate Your Customers
Find the places your customers are attracted to, whether a physical location or a cyber space where they gather.
- Where do they hang out?
- What do they read? Both online and offline?
- What do they search for online?
Understand Their Purchasing Process
Review the needs and benefits that make your customers purchase your product or service.
- Where do they begin their research?
- What is their problem or need?
- What are the benefits to finding a solution?
Connect with Current Customers
Reach out to your current, ideal customers to gain additional insight into what made them select your business over others. Conduct interviews, formally or informally, and ask them:
- Why did you originally buy from our company?
- Why do you continue to buy from our company?
- What do we do that others don’t?
Create Client Profiles (Personas)
Create profiles that describe specific segments of your current clients. Ensure that the profiles are tangible, so that you can envision this person and what would motivate them to find your business.
- Describe your clients in written profiles, called personas
- Create a specific persona for each identifiable client group and name them
- Include images of ideal clients, either real or a hypothetical individual
Once you have completed these five simple steps you will have a clear picture of the type of customers your business should be targeting. Creating a strategy with these ideal customers in mind will help you avoid wasting time and resources on unsuccessful marketing efforts. Through focused and more consistent marketing communications, you’ll be able to better reach the new customers you need to take your business to the next level.
- Want more great marketing tips? Subscribe to our blog!
- Want to know more about inbound marketing? Check out this eBook.
- Request a free marketing evaluation.