Many people think marketers have it easy: open up the laptop and come up with great marketing strategies. Let the leads roll in!
But good marketing isn’t easy. The Pulitzer Prize-winning sportswriter Red Smith once said that writing is effortless: all you need to do is “sit down at the typewriter, open your veins, and bleed.”
Good marketing is pretty much the same way, especially when it’s inbound marketing – arguably the best form of digital marketing available today. A solid inbound strategy takes time to strategize, create, and implement – and even more time to do it over and over and over again. (Inbound’s results can start slow, and then grow to a return on investment that's little short of phenomenal.)
Holding Out for an All-in-One Marketer?
You’re excited about having all of those high-quality leads rolling through your door. But take a moment to think this through: are you truly prepared for all the work that’s involved in running an effective inbound strategy? Or are you thinking in fairy tale terms – expecting a unicorn when you really need to find a workhorse? Are you thinking you can do everything, and complete it yesterday?
We want to disabuse you of these notions now: even a fully capable person, schooled in the art and science of inbound, with full inbound resources, won’t have enough time in the day to do what must be done. Stop looking for a unicorn that comes with a time machine.
Instead, if you’re planning on hiring a marketing person, you need to look for strategic and tactical expertise in these key areas:
- Content marketing
- Email marketing
- Social media marketing
- Website/development expertise
- SEO/keyword expertise
You won't find these high-level skills in one person. You might be able to hire two people who together have all these skills, but that’s unlikely, too.
To keep your inbound marketing team members from burning out, at a minimum you'll need three to four experienced inbound strategy professionals.
Additional Inbound Pitfalls
We see many businesses – even those with a full in-house marketing team – make the following mistakes:
- Their internal marketing people aren’t given the time needed to deliver true marketing results.
- They believe that they only need a little bit of this or that. “So the marketing coordinator can do that in a snap – she’s really good, after all.” This is a recipe to drive that assistant marketing director out the door.
- Related: trying to do too much right away and burning out internal staff. “This seems an easy thing to do. We can do it quickly.”
- Having internal team members perform inbound marketing strategies in which they’re inexperienced or simply not good at. Remember you can’t give someone a paint brush and expect a masterpiece.
If you’ve run into these challenges – your inbound marketing isn’t performing as you’d like, your marketing team is exhausted, you’re not getting results when you thought you would, you don’t have internal staff with the experience and skills to perform inbound strategies well – you may want to seriously consider outsourcing your inbound strategy to a HubSpot-certified digital marketing agency such as ours.
- We have content producers who do nothing but produce content. They aren’t pulled into areas they don't have expertise in.
- We have website developers who know code inside out, upside down, and sideways. That’s all they do. They don’t try to figure out the ins and outs of social media.
- Our analytics experts can figure out whether your ideal customers prefer mochas or lattes and why that matters in the content we produce. (Well, maybe not that detailed, but these guys can produce analytics that show you who your perfect prospects are, where they live, what their primary goals and/or obstacles are, and more.)
We understand your struggles. You want to implement this marvelous marketing strategy to improve sales and revenue but your team doesn’t have the time, the skills, or the knowledge to do so. Let us show you how we can help.
- Schedule a free chat to talk about your inbound marketing challenges.
- Subscribe to our blog for more information on how we can help you succeed in your inbound marketing strategies.